In 1915, the California Legislature adopted the “Mosquito Abatement Act” which has been incorporated into the State Health and Safety Code. This formed the basis for the creation, governing powers, and functions of mosquito abatement districts.
In January of 1945 the Hanford Mosquito Abatement District (13 square miles) was formed, through a special election, to reduce levels of nuisance mosquitoes and in anticipation of the potential for mosquito borne disease transmission through the return of American troops from abroad.
For similar reasons the Corcoran Mosquito Abatement District conducted it’s organizational meeting on July 9, 1947. The two Districts were consolidated into the Kings Mosquito Abatement District by an act of the County Board of Supervisors on April 19, 1961. The Kings Mosquito Abatement District currently encompasses approximately 580 square miles, 546 square miles in Kings County and a 34 square mile of Tulare County east of Corcoran.